Monday, May 03, 2010

Thoughts on Machiavelli

My husband came home from Idaho on Monday with my Strausses- " Thoughts on Machiavelli" and " Persecution and Writing". I haven't had the chance to read much though and was picking up on the chapter I was reading before I got cut off because of the limited preview on Google books which was on Machiavelli's teachings in "Thoughts on Machiavelli".

I am very intrigued by the thoughts on how religion played such a major role in his writings, or rather why it shouldn't play a major role in life in his case. It is probably because as a Muslim minority in a country where my people used to hold the reins of power and were the majority it really touches me especially when you grow up with the licensed bigotry and sense of haplessness that your community is always reminded of.

Anyway, I'm toying with the idea of writing my mini research project on cognition and curriculum. I have been informed that my grades will not be good enough to write a dissertation due to the higher requirements of my department. Oh well...life goes on.
Although I do get a feeling the my coordinator views writing a dissertation a Herculean task for everyone included and should not be encouraged.

I'm gonna bury myself in Machiavelli now and am looking forward to Dr. Wong's class on Socrates and Confucius next term, maybe now after understanding somewhat how Modernity afflicts us, I can now learn how it afflicts us in its form here.

No comments: